The Government of the Punjab planned to develop urban areas of the Province into sustainable, livable and well managed engines of economic growth as envisaged in the Vision 2020. There was a range of structural and institutional impediments to urban development and management in Punjab. To address these short comings and to enhance economic growth, the Government of Punjab in collaboration with the World Bank, initiated an Urban Sector Reform Program in the five (5) large Cities (Lahore, Rawalpindi, Gujranwala, Faisalabad, Multan) in the Province. Capacity assessment of municipal service providers was carried out in the above mentioned cities.
DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF SERVICES PROVIDED
- Assembled and mobilized the assessment team.
- Conducted an assessment of capacity building institutions and curricula.
- Evaluated capacity building institutions activities at the local, provincial, national and international level.
- Identified capacity building needs and curricula for local Government officials dealing with urban sector planning and development.
- Prepared detailed profile of capacity building institutions;
- Suggested capacity building programs for specific areas and function of local governments;
- Formulated objective and practical proposal for institutional arrangements which will enable sustainable capacity building of public institutions in the Province.
- Prepared interim, draft and final reports